Peer pressure is our hot topic this month and we want to make sure you have all the information you need so that you know how to deal with it in the future.
We have gathered five interesting facts about peer pressure that you might never have thought existed. So, let’s take five:
1) We haven’t talked much about prescription drugs when it comes to peer pressure, but it does exist! Did you know that over 2,500 teenagers a day try prescription drugs? That is over 912,000 teenagers a year!
2) Did you know that 41% of all teens are pressured into being mean to others? Since when has mean become cool in school? The motto: “Don’t do to others what you don’t want to be done to you” has been around for thousands of years… if it’s lasted until now, then I guess it’s worth following.
3) If you are lucky enough to get a car whilst still in your teens, it sure is great to show off your new ride to your friends. However, chatting and laughing about with friends whilst driving is dangerous. Did you know that 44% of teens drive better without friends in the car?
4) Not all cases of peer pressure are negative. Some are actually positive. Although it’s less than half the cases, positive peer pressure helps us adopt good habits and get rid of the nasty ones.
5) 67% of teen girls are pressured into dressing a certain way. Don’t let anyone change a style that suits you. But it is always ok to ask for your close friends’ and family’s opinion on what you are wearing.