Vegan recipes that are high in plant-based protein are perfect for athletes! Proteins are amino acids that are essential for our bodies to function correctly. They help build and repair tissue after exertion, exercise, or injury. So, just for you young TeenBuzz sporties, here is an easy and simple post-workout recipe that’s rich in plant protein, essential vitamins and minerals. Healthy, delicious, and nutritious – perfect after-training food for the winter!
Red Lentil Dhal
– 3 cloves garlic – minced
– 1 small onion – chopped
– 1-inch piece of ginger – minced
– 1 small red chili pepper- finely chopped (optional)
– 1 tbsp coconut oil
– 1.5 tsp of each of the following: dried turmeric, curry and cumin
– 1 tsp ground black pepper
– 1 400g can diced tomatoes
– 2 cups washed red lentils
– 6 cups water or vegetable stock
– Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, ginger and chili pepper, then cook for 5 minutes until onion is soft. Add spices and stir well. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
– Add washed and drained lentils, diced tomatoes, and water or stock. Stir, then cover and cook over medium heat for 30-35 minutes until lentils are soft and the dhal has the consistency of porridge. Add more water and season as necessary.
– Serve topped with chopped coriander, lime and any sides of your choice (like rice, quinoa or steamed greens).
Enjoy and don’t forget to send us a picture!
Do you want to know which kind of workouts Selena Gomez does to stay healthy? Check it out HERE.
This was written by TeenBuzz blogger Hanny, the most adventurous member of our TeenBuzz radio team. She loves traveling as much as she can to experience and learn about different cultures, food, scenery and most of all – the people.